March 5, 2011

He is Not in a Box, 'Yall

Pardon the southern twang in the title. I just couldn’t resist! I love being in the south and proud of the twang if I say so myself!

Well… here I am. Twelve months today was when I decided to let Him out of the box I had confined Him to for so many years. Really though… It has been my experience that He will stay in the little box you have created for Him as long as you want to keep Him there. But once you have had enough of the same ‘ole, same ‘ole in your life; He’ll gladly bust that box wide open and show you things you never could have dreamed of. At least, in my mind (or the box you could say), He was this Holy thing that you dare not have expectations for or dare disturb with your ‘petty’ needs. Twelve months ago today, I had decided I was tired of the same ‘ole, same ‘ole and He was gracious enough to show me that the box I had confined Him to was not His size. Was I really that conceded to think that I knew Him well enough that He would fit in my box? There was (and still is) so much more to learn about Him when He has the freedom to work without the confinement of the box.

Don’t think that all this attitude you are getting here came in an instant and magically everything is a field of flowers now that I have let him outside of my box. It’s a work in progress. I’ve finally realized that God is cool enough that He knows my love language well enough to continue on the journey with me and to speak to me in the word pictures that He knows I love. And last night was one of those times. Earlier, I told you that things had been quiet. I knew He was still with me, but we hadn’t been having the conversations we’d been having on a daily basis like earlier in the year. Maybe it’s because He knows us so well, that He knew I needed to take a breather to catch up with all that He had done in the last year. But, I’m excited to say He’s back. Sorry. I say that as if He left. He never left; but He’s picking up the speed again is a better way to say it I guess.

I was at Winter Jam last night with a friend. My friend was to one side of me and a middle aged lady was to my other side. The stranger conversed with me a little about how she was excited to have such good, close seats because last year she was in the nose bleed section. Funny enough, my friend and I ended up in the nose bleed section last year too and we were determined to get better seats this year. I think it was just that hunger that He gives you to get close to Him whether it be in song, spirit, serving, etc…. We wanted to be close to that stage this year and we were determined to get it. Anyway, I thought to myself how cool it was to be sitting next to a complete stranger that had the same love for God that we did. We were not that far into the show when the stranger leaned over to me and said, “This is not Christian.” Whoa!!! Wait a minute. We had just talked about how excited we were to have such good seats. The Word of God is being spoken and praise and worship songs are being sung all around us and she is telling me this is not Christian???? I was dumbfounded to say the least. Frustration, sadness, confusion… they all hit me like a ton of bricks. Then…. Something else hit me. She is in the same place I was in at one point. Her box had not been opened yet. After more conversation, she revealed that she was all torn up because she could not understand the words to some (well, maybe most) of the songs that were being sung. It was not the typical music she was used to for praise and worship. My heart goes out to her and my prayers go out to her that her box will be opened soon.

One thing that was stated last night in one of the messages was that our God is not republican or democrat; He is not Methodist or Baptist or Catholic or Presbyterian; and He is not black or white!! I took that to mean that He is NOT in the box that we want to confine Him to. And I’m pretty sure He does not have a preference to southern gospel or Christian rock. Let’s release Him out of the box that we’ve confined Him to and see what He can do when we don’t give Him limits! I’m fairly sure it will be pretty amazing stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment