March 1, 2011

He is With Us

So the other day I was driving to work and taking in how weird the sky appeared. It was black and completely dark in some areas and clear and blue in other areas where the sun was beginning to rise for the day. It was like I had never seen it before. We’ve all seen a storm coming or going, but this was not like that. It was a spot of darkness, a spot of clear blue and another spot of darkness that was separated by the light. I simply cannot do it justice by this description so you’ll just have to trust me that it was completely weird. Yea, sometimes I think God’s creations can be weird. Call me weird if you want. But I think that is how He gets our attention sometimes.

I’ve recently had this period where I felt like everything was quiet and I wasn’t really hearing from Him like I had in the last 12 months. I’m not in a critical decision making circumstance right now, but I like to know He’s still there. Ya know? Even when I’m not wrestling with Him on decisions I’m making. It’s just kinda nice to have Him there in the everyday life and I’ve been missing that.

Until…. On this particular morning that the sky was wierding me out, I was thinking to myself… I’m not a fan of the rain. Even though I know it’s necessary and I know we are in the negative for this year already; I’d really it rather not rain. It’s just who I am. I like sunny skies! Sorry; I digressed. Back to the point. So of course there was a big black cloud directly over right where I was headed. Naturally (because of who I am and because I like sunny skies, but you already know that), I started moaning and groaning in my heart that I would like a nice clear blue spot over where I was going. I’d really rather not have to fool with taking my umbrella in with me to work not knowing if it was going to rain or not. You know how sometimes you take your umbrella with you when you aren’t sure if it is going to rain? And you know what a pain that is? Especially if it doesn’t rain… And most of the time when you do take your umbrella with you it doesn’t rain and you end up not needing it; and if you don’t take it with you, it rains and you do need it. You already know what I’m talking about.

After I finished throwing my little hissy fit of a tantrum with myself I heard this still quite voice. I hadn’t heard Him in a while so my ears perked up real quick. It was like He’d been waiting for just the right time when He’d have my full attention. He knew I had wanted to hear Him and sure enough He is just that sweet to show up at just the right time. And this is what we talked about... He told me to get over the nasty dark sky over “my area” and quite worrying about taking my umbrella in. He told me that He is not like the umbrella. Instead of having to decide when to take the umbrella with me for protection and possibly mis-judging and not having it when I needed it the most, He told me that He is my umbrella. He will protect me when the rain comes pouring down. And on top of that He is always there because He already knows when the rain is coming and when He will need to open the umbrella of protection. AND He said He would be there even when it is not raining.

Gosh, I was so thankful for that little conversation He took the time to have with me and the reminder of His constant presence with me even when I don’t necessarily feel it. This week, I’m coming up on the 1 year mark of my crazy encounter with Him and as I look back He has been ever so consistent and faithful with me. And for that I am so extremely thankful I can’t even put it into words. His love is beyond explanation! I’ve been playing this song lately and listening to it as though it is Him singing it to me. Don’t just listen to the words, but let them really penetrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXW2n33QfI

No comments:

Post a Comment